29 Nov 2022 | 2 min Read
Dr Saroja Bhoi Hazra
Author | 2 Articles
Before knowing how to prepare for breastfeeding, it’s very important for a mother to know the importance of breastfeeding and its benefits.
Amongst the numerous benefits of breastfeeding a few of benefits of breastfeeding include:
· It helps meet the nutritional requirement of the baby
· The antibodies in the breastmilk help build the baby’s immunity
· Protect the baby from infections, it’s easy to digest
· Helps mother-baby bonding
· The sucking movement while breastfeeding helps the jaw and teeth development of the baby
· Prevents malnutrition in the baby
· Boosts mother’s immunity
· Reduces the insulin levels of the diabetic mother
· Lowers the risk of ovarian and breast cancers in mothers
· Lowers the risk of osteoporosis in mothers
The preparation for breastfeeding physically as well as mentally should start during pregnancy itself.
During the antenatal check-ups, the mother, father, as well as their relatives (HLA relatives), should be educated about breastfeeding to help them encourage the mother to develop an interest in the same. Besides educating the mother and the close ones, a few other things include:
· Preparing a room for breastfeeding in the house.
· Practicing relaxation techniques for the mother to be relaxed while feeding the baby.
· Knowing and practicing breast care to prevent flat nipples and other breast-related issues. one of the massages taught to mothers is gently massaging the nipple using two fingers and coconut oil.
· Learning how to express colostrum.
· Learning and practicing good hygiene practice to keep the breast clean before feeding the baby.