12 Oct 2022 | 2 min Read
Dr Madhuri mehendale
Author | 3 Articles
Vaginal yeast infection is also known as candidiasis. This fungal infection is commonly caused when the vaginal pH is disturbed.
Hormonal changes during pregnancy (increases estrogen), poor hygiene, certain antibiotics, immunosuppressants, or external transmission (during intercourse) may increase the risk of vaginal yeast infection. Itchiness, redness, burning sensation, swelling around the vaginal, and thick white foul-odour discharge are a few common symptoms seen during a yeast infection.
To prevent such discomfort a few simple ways, include:
· Avoid wearing tight pants.
· Prefer wearing cotton breathable underwear.
· Manage your blood sugar levels as it can increase the risk of yeast infection.
· Avoid wearing wet clothes or sweaty clothes.
· Maintain good intimate hygiene.
· Always keep a habit to wipe from the front to back after using the washroom.
· Do not douche. Instead, gently rinse the vaginal area with warm water or use a washcloth to clean it.
· Add more probiotic food to your diet like yogurt.
· Avoid using vaginal sprays or any such products.
· Avoid using scented sanitary pads, toilet paper, etc.
Along with these prevention tips, increase your fluid intake in the form of water, soups, fruits with high water content, etc as it helps to manage as well as prevent the chance of vaginal yeast infection.
Suggestions offered by doctors on BabyChakra are of advisory nature i.e., for educational and informational purposes only. Content posted on, created for, or compiled by BabyChakra is not intended or designed to replace your doctor's independent judgment about any symptom, condition, or the appropriateness or risks of a procedure or treatment for a given person.